Something interesting happened: duplicate entries in the same week! I remember when I wrote what ultimately became #4, I was already prone (see #3 from the night before) and the notebook I’ve been logging these in was on the desk across the room. Being too lazy to retrieve it (again, per #3) I emailed an entry to myself using my iPhone. Just now looking at that email to create this post, I’m shocked to discover it is damn near the same entry as #2, and at the time I had no recollection of having written it before. If I’d gotten up and written in the notebook, though, surely I’d have made note. That’s one of the cool things about this project, is re-reading what I’d written over the week, how it opens images in my memory, and how easy it is to forget day-to-day thoughts and events. It also shows the drive must have made quite an impression.
- 07/15/2013 A couple hundred trips under my belt and I still spend the night before certain I’ve forgotten something and that I’ll oversleep and miss my flight.
- 07/16/2013 My decision to follow “Route 3” on my GPS for the 90+ miles from Tulsa to Ponca City was the best choice I could have made: I have a newfound appreciation for the Oklahoma countryside.
- 07/17/2013 Fat, lazy, grouchy, and prone in a hotel room.
- 07/18/2013 Taking the time to drive the back roads over the 90ish miles between Tulsa and Ponca City saved this trip and raised my opinion of Oklahoma.
- 07/19/2013 I worry for the people in Superior where the big wildfire is burning, but I was pleased to not smell the smoke when I arrived home in Missoula tonight.
- 07/20/2013 It’s good to be home, stretched out on Groovy Island, surrounded by dogs, pointing and laughing at their ridiculousness.
- 07/21/2013 There are few enough things I have complete control over in my life; today I’ve drawn a line in the sand that I will not cross on one of them.