Once again we’ve managed to blunder right into the middle of my least favorite time of year. I’m no summer guy, I like fall best, and winter, and spring. This year it has been particularly brutal. Temperatures (record highs!) into the 100s over the last two days of June, then searing heat through our first week of July, have threatened to make me surly. I remember a couple years ago when it got hot before the 4th the warnings being delivered via The Man were about being careful on the rivers because they were still running dangerously high with winter run-off. This year, the water is frighteningly low, and we are already into “Hoot-Owl” restrictions for fishing, something that doesn’t happen until late August, typically, if at all.
But damn it, I’m not going to complain. In my new approach to life I want to be just a shining ray of golden fucking sunshine to everyone around me, so rather than go on about how much the heat sucks, I’m going to HTFU, be thankful that I have the means to get away from it if I really need to, and instead focus on what I DO like about summer. To that end, I give you ten wonderful things about this deadly season, in no particular order….
- Sun rises in the wee hours that stretch long into golden, lingering, gloriously late sun sets
- Breezy summer dresses
- Bare, dirty feet padding through the grass
- Fish popping the surface of the river from below, me, half-submerged nearby, with or without my fly rod
- Blockbuster movies
- Noisy splashes of color that coalesce into birds at my feeders
- The smell of first, second, and third cuttings of alfalfa
- Pretty girls on cruiser bikes pedaling through downtown
- Mountains of produce that would suggest the impossibility of hunger
- The burly inspiration of the buff, bronzed, and bitchin’
Anyone else have favorite things about summer, or are you all just a bunch of haters?