>The Post-Trip San Diego Post

>I finally managed to get my pictures offloaded from my camera, so I figured I’d share some here. Of course, no work trip would be complete without the obligatory “view from my hotel window” picture.

The big building at the far end of the parking lot was this:

Me being the worldly genius that I am, I had no idea what that was. It sounded vaguely terroristic to me, you know, so I didn’t trust it. Turns out it is just an enclave of those Shriner/Mason dudes. Who could have known?

This is the place I spent my time working. There were some unusual problems to overcome that annoyed and irritated me, but that’s typical. My enthusiasm for the work portion of these trips gets more and more difficult to summon. At least the people were nice enough. The only downside is one day they ordered in lunch, and the next they took me out to lunch. I don’t like to do that. I like to fly solo over lunch, if only for the break from being in “consultant guy” mode. An hour to myself in the middle of the day can make a huge difference, especially after having done this for so long.

Tuesday afternoon I headed for the Mount Soledad Veterans Memorial. The view from up there was magnificent.

The little half-height walls that bordered the walkway up to the big cross were covered with plaques of servicepeople, combat units, etc. They were pretty cool to look at.

It was quite windy up there, with a slight chill in the air, but I enjoyed it. I hung around for a while before heading back down the hill to just drive around, then go find some grub.

Wednesday afternoon I wrapped up work a little earlier, and headed straight for the beach. It was a gorgeous day, low 80s, and plenty of other people had the same idea I did.

It was a great, relaxing way to spend the afternoon. I enjoyed watching the surfers, doing some people watching, and taking pictures.

If I hadn’t had my fancy Saddleback Leather briefcase strapped to my back, I would have gone swimming, nor did I want to leave it unattended on the shore. I did wade in about waist deep, though. The water wasn’t warm, but it was still warmer than Flathead Lake at the height of summer.

After a bit of splashing around, I walked up the boardwalk a short distance and bought a big beach towel so I could stretch out and soak up some rays while reading. I staked out my own little plot of paradise to do that.

I wasn’t the only one stretched out soaking up rays either.

Julia called me a lech for taking pictures of girls in bikinis. I beg to differ. I’m just an intrepid traveler, observing with a dispassionate eye my surroundings, and reporting on them. Did she call me an unflattering name when she saw the pictures of the old man who stripped down to his speedos and splashed into the surf? Of course not!

When a game of beach soccer started up, I felt it was my duty to capture the image of at least one of the players as well. A guy with a camera must take many, many pictures to ensure getting a couple good ones. Unfortunately, this was the only postable shot of the soccer match.

Then I was distracted by the ship in the background of that last shot. I’d love to cruise around on a tub like this!

One thing I really enjoyed watching, though I was unable to photograph, were the enormous pelicans out over the water. They would fly low between the waves, then high up into the air, then would dive into the water beak-first to catch fish. I could have watched them all day.

After a couple hours I headed for the restaurant the folks I’d worked with told me to try that is right on the beach called World Famous. I added my name to the waiting list — 45 minutes to an hour. I thought about just taking off to go somewhere else, then decided I’d just hang out longer. That would put me there in time to watch the sunset over the ocean. What kind of a moron would choose to miss that?

While I was waiting, these folks were hanging out. They were a trio of fire performers and acrobats.

As sunset loomed nearer, they set up their performance area right in front of the boardwalk where folks were queueing up to watch the natural spectacle.

Just a few minutes later, the main event was on. I was damn happy I’d stuck around. The following pictures require no narration.

After that I finally got my table. I was in front of the window facing the beach, and I could see the fire performers outside doing their thing. I felt guilty watching because I had no cash on me. Other people seemed to be throwing loot into their collection hat, though, so that’s good.

The meal was good enough, but not worth waiting over an hour for. The relaxing time I’d spent, though, absolutely was.

After I drove back to my hotel, I was depressed to be leaving in just a few hours. The room was comfortable, the weather was great, and I would have liked to spend more time. I was wishing I’d planned ahead to fly Julia out for the weekend. Maybe we will return here in the not-too-distant future. San Diego really is a beautiful city, and it isn’t so big that it is overly difficult to get around in. Definitely a favorite of mine.

10 thoughts on “>The Post-Trip San Diego Post

  1. Chris

    >You know, I was thinking about that while I was waiting. I'm a big fan of the sunrise, but it definitely takes a greater commitment to see one, doesn't it?

  2. Chris

    >Rachel, I consult on/install data collection systems for manufacturers. Think of people riding around on forklifts scanning barcodes and stuff.

  3. Chris

    >A suit? God, no. The "official" uniform is the khaki pants with a blue shirt with my employer's logo on it. I usually wear that on the first day to get a feel for what the place is all about. If they are relatively formal, I'll stick to it. But in some environments I'll wear jeans — all depends on where they are and how uptight they are.

  4. Anonymous

    >I don't blame you for not wanting to be far from that beautiful briefcase….if you like weirdo fire-sunset performing, try Mallory Square at sunset in Key West…

  5. Chris

    >I just about love weirdo anything. Fire performances are great, though. The wildest I've seen were during the Dia de los Muertos parade in Tucson a few years ago.


Leave a Reply